Are you well informed about the ingredients of the products you are regularly putting on your body? More importantly are they safe?
If you are like most people you won’t know. And is it any wonder when the ingredients are all expressed on the bottles as chemical formulas or abbreviations.
Unfortunately our trust in manufacturers intentions is misplaced as you will see from reading about these ingredients. Many of which are damaging, allergenic, and carcinogenic pollutants not only to your body but the environment as well.
I believe that knowing what NOT to put on your face, body and hair is very important.
Since there is so much confusion in the marketplace, here is a list of the most dangerous and damaging ingredients commonly used in the face, body and hair care industry.
Some of these ingredients are more dangerous than others. I strongly believe that NONE of these ingredients should be applied to your face, hair or body and you should avoid them at all costs.
- Imidazolidinyl Urea and Diazolidinyl Urea – These are the most commonly used preservatives after the parabens. They are well established as a primary cause of contact dermatitis (American Academy of Dermatology). These ingredients are derived from ANIMAL urine.
- Methyl, Propyl, Butyl, and Ethyl Paraben – These are preservatives, or commonly known used as inhibitors of microbial growth, which extends the shelf life of products. Parabens are widely used even though they are known to be toxic. Parabens have been known to cause many allergic reactions and skin rashes. Methyl paraben combines benzoic acid with the methyl group of chemicals and is highly toxic.
- Petrolatum – Petrolatum is mineral oil jelly, and mineral oil causes a lot of problems when used on the skin-it can produce photosensitivity i.e. it promotes sun damage and interferes with the body’s own natural moisturizing mechanism. This of course leads to dry skin and chapping – exactly what the product is intended to prevent.
- Propylene Glycol – Propylene Glycol is a vegetable glycerin mixed with grain alcohol, which are both “natural”. Usually it is a synthetic petrochemical mix used as a humectant. Propylene glycol been known to cause allergic and toxic reactions and alcohols are drying to the skin and toxic.
- PVP/VA Copolymer – A petroleum-derived chemical used in hair sprays, wave sets and other cosmetics. It can be considered toxic, since particles may contribute to foreign bodies in the lungs of sensitive persons.
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate – This synthetic substance is used in shampoos for its detergent and foam-building abilities. It causes eye irritations, skin rashes, hair loss, scalp scurf similar to dandruff, and allergic reactions. It is frequently disguised in pseudo-natural cosmetics with the parenthetic explanation “comes from coconut”.
SLS is a detergent that poses serious health threats. It is commonly used in garage floor cleaners and engine degreasers.
Research indicates that exposure to SLS can result in eye damage, depression, labored breathing, diarrhea, severe skin irritation, and even death! Eyes may not develop properly if exposed to SLS.
SLS can be transformed into nitrosamines which are a potent class of carcinogens.
Your body can retain SLS for up to five days and maintain residual levels in the heart, liver, lungs, and brain.
- Stearalkonium Chloride – A chemical used in hair conditioners and creams, which causes allergic reactions because it is highly toxic.
Stearalkonium chloride was developed by the fabric industry as a fabric softener, and is a lot cheaper and easier to use in hair conditioning formulas than proteins or herbals, which do help hair health.
- Synthetic Colors – The synthetic colors including dyes will be labeled as FD&C or D&C, followed by a color and a number. Example: FD&C Red No. 6 / D&C Green No. 6.
Synthetic colors are believed to be cancer-causing agents. FD&C Yellow 5, Red 40, Blue #1 are synthetic colors from coal tar that deposits toxins onto the skin, causing skin irritation. Absorption can cause depletion of oxygen in the body and death.
Did you ever see a label saying death is a possible side effect? Wow! Surely the best course of action would be if a cosmetic has synthetic colours in it, don’t use the cosmetic.
- Synthetic Fragrances – The synthetic fragrances used in cosmetics can have as many as 200 ingredients. There is no way to know what the chemicals are, since on the label it will simply say “Fragrance”.
Some of the problems caused by these chemicals are headaches, dizziness, rash, hyper-pigmentation, violent coughing, vomiting, skin irritation, and the list goes on.
Like synthetic colours with this many side effects do you really want to use or buy any cosmetic that has the word “Fragrance” on the ingredients label.
- Triethanolamine (TEA) – Often used in cosmetics to adjust the pH, and used with many fatty acids to convert acid to salt (stearate), which then becomes the base for a cleanser. TEA causes allergic reactions including eye problems, dryness of hair and skin, and could be toxic if absorbed into the body over a long period of time.
- Saccharomyces Magnesium Ferment – an acid from a yeast which causes damage to the insulin producing beta cells and pancreatic cancer.
- Butylene Glycol – an acid that may be narcotic and cause asphyxiation.
- Aqua Biomin Saccharomyces/Magnesium Ferment – This is a yeast and an acid that causes diabetes and other topical yeast infections that can lead to a host of serious symptoms.
- DMDM Hydantoin – releases a powerful acid and neurotoxin formaldehyde which
causes joint pain, skin reactions, allergies, depression, headaches, chest pains, ear infections, chronic fatigue, dizziness, and loss of sleep.
Exposure also irritates the respiratory system, triggers heart palpitations or asthma, and aggravates coughs. Other known side effects are a weakened immune system and cancer.
This just gets better and better. [I know sarcasm doesn’t become me – but doesn’t it just make your skin crawl how we have been lead up the “garden path”]
- Cocamidopropyl Hydroxysultaine – has added chemicals in the processing of the coconut oil which are carcinogenic.
- Tea lauryl sulfate – is hormone disrupting chemical that can form cancer-causing nitrates. This ingredient is restricted in Europe due to the carcinogenic effects. Repeated applications can result in liver and kidney cancer.
- Lactic Acid – This is a cancer causing agent. An acid found around all cancerous tumours.
- Alcohol – Alcohol is a free radical and can cause dryness and flaking of the skin. Also very drying and are known to cause allergic reactions and skin irritation.
The chemicals in skincare products are designed to be readily absorbed or sit on your skin. Your skin is your bodies largest elimination organ and as such doesn’t need the extra pressure put on it by applying these harmful ingredients.
Is it any wonder many people have problems with their skin and hair when what they are applying everday contains so many harmful substances.
Hopefully this limited list of ingredients and there likely side effects will enable you to make an informed choice about the skin and hair care products you are applying [if any] to your body from this point on. Buy online from NHS Heroe’s at https://www.nhsheroes.co.uk/ today.